History of the building Attractions Rooms
Photo of old owners
Building History

The General Store was built in the center of Huff’s Church in 1871 by M. M. Gery.

A post office was established there in 1874 and kept its designation until 1906.

Samuel Bittenbender, a mine owner with vast holdings in the area, bought the site in 1876 and put his 30-year-old son-in-law Daniel R. Bechtel in charge.

In the 1880’s James V. Schankweiler became Bechtel’s assistant. Bechtel, Schankweiler, and the hotelkeeper Charles Gery across the street were all sons-in-law of Samuel Bittenbender, who persuaded the young men to keep the business "in the family" even through a few family feuds.

In 1890 Bechtel borrowed liberally from Bittenbender to erect the stylish Victorian house across the street.

When Schankweiler left the store to return to farming in 1910, Bechtel removed a building next to the store which dated back to before 1753 and belonged to Huff. In place of this house, Bechtel erected a beautiful addition to the general store that remains today.

In the autumn of 1920 the store was purchased by the Pilgert family who ran the general store business until 1986.

Diane Selwood bought the building in 1986 and created a dress shop and store called Duckenfield's. She and Ron Selwood sold it to Ed & Donna Land in 1997. The Lands added five rooms for a Bed & Breakfast and worked to renovate the store and outbuildings. The Lands have honored the history of the General Store by naming each of the five Bed & Breakfast rooms after the original General Store proprietors.

The “new” 1910 room addition now houses Landhaven Antiques and is the well-suited home to Landhaven House Concerts.